To make this Delicious Grandma’s Country White Bread You’ll need the following
Luke-warm water: 3 cups
Sugar: 1/4 cup
Yeast: 1 1/2 Tbsp.
Oil: 1/3 cup
Salt: 1 Tbsp.
Unbleached ground white wheat flour: 6 – 7 cups (regular all-purpose flour is also fine; about 8 more cups of flour will be needed. This will result in a softer, less-coarse bread.)
Vital wheat gluten: 1 Tbsp. (only if using whole white wheat flour)
How To Make Grandma’s Country White Bread
1. Start by dissolving yeast, in a large mixing bowl, in warm water and sugar and let sit for 10 minutes.
2. You’ll want to add the oil, the salt and flour (starting with 6 cups of flour) and mix everything well.
3. Now, knead the dough thoroughly for 6 to 10 minutes, or until everything is incorporated (that’s right, just till the dough is smooth, elastic, very slightly sticky, and pulls away from the bowl).
4. Whilw kneading the dough, be sure to add more flour as needed. And please repeat the process until dough reaches the desired consistency.
5. Using a dish towel or plastic wrap, cover the bowl of dough. Let rise until doubled, it takes at least 1 hour depending on how warm your kitchen is. It’s wise to place the covered bowl inside the oven with the oven light on, and another bowl of warm water sitting on the lower rack so to speed up this process.