To make this Tasty The Best Homemade Chili You’ll need the following
- 1 pound (raw) bacon – cut into small piece
- 1 large onion – diced
- 1 red bell pepper – seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper – seeded and diced
- 6 cloves garlic – minced
- 4.5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1.5 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1.5 tablespoons paprika
- .5 to 1.5 tablespoons chipotle powder (Use 1.5 tablespoons if you like it spicy)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- .5 teaspoon cayenne powder (optional)
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 can or bottle beer (I use Coors Light)
- 1 – 14 ounce can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 – 14 ounce can red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 – 24 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 – 24 ounce can diced tomatoes
How To Make Homemade Chili
1-Cook diced bacon over medium heat in a large non-stick dutch oven or pot. When bacon is almost done, add in diced onion and bell peppers and cook until softened.
2-Add minced garlic, chili powder, ground cumin, paprika, chipotle powder, dried oregano, salt, and cayenne powder. Cook a minute or two until aromatic.
3-Add in ground beef to bacon-onion mixture. Cook until ground beef is no longer pink.
4-Stir in a can of beer rinsed and drained beans, crushed tomatoes with juice, and diced tomatoes with juice
5-Cover and simmer on low (for me it’s #3) 1.5 hours. Add a little water, if necessary. The first hour stirs the pot every 10-15 minutes, and the last 30 minutes stir the pot every 5-10 minutes. You may need to stir more often depending on your pot and how hot your burner gets.
6-Taste of salt.